Monday, February 1, 2010

CRCB CH.1 READING & EXCERCISE




What is reading?

- Form of communication using written language.
- Two-way communication between an author and a reader.
- Interpretation and understanding.
- Reading is process (processes).
- Reading is thinking.


Reading- is an active process that depends on both an author's ability to convey meaning using words and your ability to create meaning from them.

Journal- Helps you to think on paper about what you have read, to identify what you do (and do not) understand, and to explore how you think.
- Your entries will help you determine what you have learned and what is still unclear to you.


I. CONCENTRATION

A. Skills than can be learned with patience and perserverance.
B. Ability to focus exclusively on a project and to ignore all else.


II. LEARNING STYLES

A. AUDITORY

1) Listening to tapes
2) Tape notes
3) Speak about your subject
4) Sound out words
5) Read aloud
6) Talking and listening with partners

B. VISUAL

1)Use guide imagery
2)Form pictures in your mind
3)Use notebook, Photograph, drawing, mind maps
4)Use study cards
5)Watch movies on subjests
6)Underlines or marks in colors

C. KINESTHETIC

1)Pace as you study
2)Role play
3)Practice by repeated motion
4)Stretch and move in your chair
5)Dance as you study




III. 7 Tips for creating a sucessful study environmental.

A. Do not read in your bed; you will fall asleep quickly.
B. Avoid reading in public; you will get distract, interupted, and annoying.
C. Be comfortable when you are reading, but not too comfortable.
D. Read in area with enough light; otherwise, you will get tired quickly.
E. Prepare enough material before reading so then you won't get distract by looking for it while reading it.
F. Turn off television.
G. Try not to answer any phone calls. Let them leave you a message.

EXCERCISE 1a (P.9)

Concentration Survey (yes/no)

1. YES --> I know that concentration is a skill that can be learned.
2. YES --> I have a study area, complete with study supplies, and this area is used only for studying.
3. YES --> I try to concentrate as I read, but my mind usually drifts to other things.
4. YES --> If i get angry, I am unable to concentrate on my reading.
5. NO --> I know how to minimize all distractions.
6. YES --> I cannot read unless my house, or study environment, is immaculate.
7. NO --> I have a system to let others know when I am reading and that I do not want to be disturbed.
8. YES --> I lose concentration easily when I am bored with what I'm reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment